Education Website Redesign

The college website had reached its longevity, and a decision was made to redesign it completely. As the webmaster I was tasked to work closely with marketing to achieve a website solution that followed the college graphic standards, was mobile friendly (responsiveness) and accessible (508 compliant). During the planning stage, I created the project plan and together with the marketing team briefed key stakeholders with the project scope for approval. The project plan had many stages and had a year to be completed.

Before moving to the design stage, I purchased the backbone theme of the site, set up the server space and created a primary site to start working with the website committee. After two months of designing some of the pages, the committee and I had a home page and three other page type templates for the content creation stage.

The next step was to ensure the site was working correctly, had a functional CMS approval system and was accessible. This development stage included a lot of testing and debugging, with a few design changes and tracked code tweaks.

Once I was confident that the site core was ready, I started moving revised content into its destination page template. Marketing and I worked on page merging and content placement into the new parallax page format. I checked each completed page again for any accessibility issues.

The site CMS included a new “edit in live page” capability, and I had to create new training materials to train department content editors. Marketing and I provided workshops to the college at large to spread awareness about the new site and to get last minute feedback on user experience.

The site was ready to be launched and was kept up-to-date with CMS and plugins updates. I was able to provide a seamless experience during the website launch by only making a DNS change. I had to make some tweaks and install security measures after the launch.

We decided to add any non-crucial remaining improvements to a phase II, which would take place after the website launch. Phase II included the creation of new content and continuous development of site search engine and speed optimization.

Share: